EE Est. 1889
CE Est. 1971
The history of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) at Michigan reaches back to 1889, when the first course in electrical engineering was taught at Michigan.

It is a discipline founded by some of the greatest inventors in modern history – whose inventions have transformed our world.

Electrical and computer engineers brought light to the darkness, power and energy to the world, wired and wireless communications to connect us all, sensing techniques and devices for health and security, computers, and the processing and dissemination of information. ECE is the foundation of modern society. 

On these pages, you can read a narrative history of the departmental, jump through different entries on the timeline, or go in depth in one of the spotlights of our alumni, research, innovation, education, department, and department chairs.

This is a brief look at how Electrical and Computer Engineering at Michigan grew from 2 faculty and a small lab in the basement of East Engineering with a handful of students in the late 19th century, to a department with programs consistently ranked among the best in the world, $38M in externally funded research expenditures, extensive world-class laboratories and equipment, about 700 graduate and 550 undergraduate students, 80 faculty (including teaching and research faculty), and more than 18,000 living alumni.